Around 1238 the area of Oakenrod was dense woodland where wild boar would have roamed. The area was cleared to use for cultivation and then divided between different landowners. By the middle of the 15th century land had changed hands many times and a dispute over the land ended with “bows, arrows, swords and other weapons riotously entered”. (History of the parish of Rochdale - Fishwick).
By 1598 the lease of the hall was granted to the Gartsyde family and it remained in the family for the next 100 years. By the mid 1600s the timber and thatch house was replaced by a solid stone hall which you can still see today.
Edmund Butterworth, a local merchant, made substantial changes to the hall when he took it over from the Gartsydes, building an extra wing. In 1787 it changed owner again; the Royds family then owned it for over 100 years and converted it into cottages.
The building today is divided into cottages, but some original features still remain including a fine old oak staircase.
“Oakenrod” is Old English meaning “a place rid of oaks”